Hi there, friends! I have been working extra hard to knock out my never-ending ORC to-do list. I've hardly been on the computer or social media, so I'm feeling a little out of the loop! Looking forward to catching up with everyone around the web soon. I did want to check in today, though, with the details from a project I showed you a few weeks ago.
In my week 2 update for the One Room Challenge, I shared the chandelier in our room that we replaced the ceiling fan with. I've always loved Jenny's giant chandelier and looked for one for a long time, but never came across a similar one. However, I finally came across this one and thought it might work.
There were a few things that I didn't like about it and dated it in my opinion, mainly the super shiny finish and the flourish accent pieces.
I knew that paint would be an easy fix for the finish, and came up with a plan to simplify the design and make it look a bit more modern.
I used a Dremel with the appropriate attachment wheel for cutting metal to cut the fan accents off.
I tried to make as straight of a cut as possible for a nice clean look. They were solid metal so it took a bit of cutting, but the Dremel did a great job and sliced through fairly easily. Some sparks did fly while I was cutting, so take care if you try something like this, and be sure to use the appropriate safely equipment (glasses!).
After filing the rough cut edges smooth, it was ready for paint!
I used Rustoleum's Metallic Brass (hard to find anymore) to spray it. I decided to paint the candle covers also so they wouldn't stick out as much.
Right around the time I was working on the light, I saw this random clock pop up on Craigslist too ($10), and I immediately envisioned it as a ceiling medallion.
The clock face was a thin piece of metal, so I removed it and the hands and was left with a plastic center. I used the Dremel again (it's actually my Dad's, I think I need one on my next Birthday list!) to cut an opening out. The edges didn't need to be perfect because the light canopy would cover it up. After a quick coat of paint to match the light, it was all set.
The medallion went up first, taking care to make sure it was centered exactly. We attached it to the ceiling with 2 screws that aren't even visible from the ground.
Then, my husband installed the light. It took a little bit of trial and error since the canopy wasn't attaching directly to the ceiling. I ended up using Gorilla Glue to stick it to the medallion.
It's a large scale for the room, but I love it that way. The simple lines and airy arms keep it from being overpowering. And, we can SEE in our room! The ceiling fan light was always so dim. This one feels like the sun... we need to add a dimmer to it.
I think lamp and chandelier makeovers will always be my favorite. Check back tomorrow for a Week 4 progress report on my bedroom!
Updated: See the finished space here!