Welcome, friends! Well, that was probably the fastest week ever! I'm a first-timer, but I have a feeling participating the One Room Challenge makes time fly by even faster than usual. A big thanks to Linda at Calling it Home for organizing this big party, and motivating us to get moving on a space in our home!
Well, I feel like I'm off to a slow start, but we have accomplished a few things. Knowing that I'd be tackling my bedroom one day and having a vague idea of the direction I was headed, I've been hoarding Craigslist finds for a while. Although I didn't have a sure plan for them until recently, I had some basics on hand when the room plan started coming together.
Let's start at the top... Over a year ago I floated the idea to my husband of getting rid of the ceiling fan.
We used it every night, but I knew a chandelier would be so much prettier. I told him I'd be totally ok with using a standing fan (I can tuck it away if needed), and he agreed! So, after keeping a constant eye out, I turned this 80's $20 Craigslist find
Next week I'll share all of the details on that transformation, including the surprising first life of the ceiling medallion.
Inspired by something similar I saw at a local Show house a few years ago, I've been working to transform another Craigslist find. These stools...
became green beauties! I'm about finished with the basic upholstering, but am trying to decide how to finish them off. Plain, ribbon trim (remember, I'm accenting with pink and orange), or ribbon and nail head trim.
I think I know which one I'm leaning towards, and if you know me at all you can probably make a pretty good guess which one it will be.
I didn't really talk about it in my plan last week, but there's plenty of room for us to create a sitting area in the room. Once again, Craigslist turned up a pair of these vintage wingbacks. They have a slim profile and are Ethan Allen. So, although old and not perfect (one foot was chipped and I think they'd been stored outside), they're heavy, sturdy, and well made.
I've been working to get them stripped down and ready to re-upholster. A yucky job that is not fun at all, but my upholsterer discounts about $50 per chair if I do the tear-down, so it's worth it to me.
I really went back and forth on the new fabric to choose. Part of me wanted to do a great patterned fabric, like the Jamil leopard that I'd like to use somewhere in the room. In the end, though, I decided to go neutral on the upholstery. I can add some great pillows, and I knew there would be plenty of other patterns going on in the room. This is the fabric I ended up choosing. It's classic and neutral at a glance, yet close-up has that wonderful herringbone pattern and texture. I saw it made up on a sofa at a local fabric shop, but found it online for a few dollars per yard cheaper. Every little bit helps!
|Richloom Olson in Cement|
I've got a few deliveries on the way that I'm VERY excited about, but I need to keep plugging away at the DIY projects. I know these weeks are going to go by so quickly!