Over the weekend I finally had a chance to get started on some yard work. I didn't get very far, but at least got our front porch and side porch cleaned up and switched out for the season.
And, of course, there was a new project involved! Our hail storms were not kind to my favorite pots last summer, so I had several that needed to be replaced. I was drawn to this simple, slightly modern style that I found at Ross.
And then, I decided they needed a little upgrade.
They are a very square shape except for the slight taper at the bottom, so I decided that they would be easy to stripe. I didn't have any wide painter's tape on hand, but I had lots of Duck Tape! I tested it to make sure it wouldn't leave a sticky residue, and then got to work taping. I don't think I would try the Duck Tape on a more delicate surface because it involves a good amount of tugging to remove it, but it worked great for this project!
I used a couple of scrap pieces to measure the space in between lines and keep them straight. It worked out really well. I made sure to press down all the edges well so the lines would be crisp.
Then, I sprayed a coat of primer, followed by 2-3 coats of glossy white paint. For a little added protection from the elements, I finished it off with a clear glossy spray sealer.
Be sure to peel the tape off as soon as you finish with your last coat. If you let it dry with the tape on, it's more likely that you'll be peeling paint off along with the tape.
Here's a little trick I always use when planting large pots: I use an empty container of some sort in the bottom of the pot to fill up some of the space, or packing peanuts, or a mix of both. Then, I fill in dirt as usual. This keeps the pot from being so heavy and cuts down on the amount of dirt needed to fill the pot. Just FYI, I did cover those holes so dirt wouldn't sift down through them, but the drainage hole in the bottom of the pot is still functional.
I think it's the perfect mix with my more traditional urns on the front porch,
and I mixed my surviving graphic pot (also from Ross several years ago) with a larger striped pot on the side porch.
I only have one snag in my plan...after searching 7 Ross stores in our area, I could only find one that was the size I needed for the front porch. :( So, it's an odd arrangement right now, but I'm really hoping to come across one more some day to balance out the other.
Linking up with: Thrifty Decor Chick