Monday, April 1, 2013
HOW TO CONVERT AN IKEA JARA DRUM PENDANT SHADE TO FIT A LAMP BASE
A few weeks ago I scored a great new pairs of thrift store lamps that needed a makeover as well as new shades. Target always has a great selection of shades, but even the largest drum shade was a bit too small for the lamps. So, I had my eye out for just the right shade when we went to Ikea over Spring Break. And, I found it! It's the Jara shade, but I really only paid attention to the size (not the frame inside, keep reading)...it was just right.
But, I didn't pay close enough attention to the inside, and when I went to attach it to the lamp, womp womp. The hole was too big to fit on the socket, because the original intent for this shade was for it to be a hanging pendant lamp.
After further inspection of the framework, I discovered that the sides can be unlatched and the socket hole can be swiveled upside down, so it is closer to the top of the shade.
Now the shade would work with a harp, but the hole was too big for the finial to secure the shade to the harp.
Enter...two $0.24 washers from Lowe's. I forgot what number the washers are, but the diameter is right at 2 inches.
I used a thin bead of Gorilla Glue (if you've never used it before, it expands as it dries, so go easy) and followed the application directions to secure the washer to the too-large hole.
After the glue dried, I gave all of the frame hardware a quick spray with Rustoleum's metallic gold to unify everything.
Now everything fits together perfectly!
I am SO happy with how the lamps turned out...can't wait to show you later in the week!
P.S. - I've also got a new post up at WordSlingers. Come on over to see my picks for some must-have spring wardrobe pieces.