Tuesday, January 22, 2013
GREEN CHINA CABINET
Well, here she is!
After almost two full weeks of work (off and on), it's finally done, and I'm going to make you scroll through way too many pictures.
Let's remember the very sad before...
And the oh so fun after!
I wanted to create a glam, sophisticated look and lighten up the inside, so I used my wedding china, crystal, some other white dishes and thrifted milk glass I've collected to style the shelves.
I like symmetry.
Now for the details, I sanded, filled in gouges, sanded, wiped, and primed before painting three coats of color. Yes, I can confirm that dark colors are tricky and take more paint. The color I used was Behr's Pine Scent in semi-gloss. I used a good Purdy brush for the corners and a foam roller for the rest. Also, a huge trick I've learned when painting with latex paint is to use a coat or two of poly on the flat surfaces that will have something sitting on top of them. Latex paint can stay tacky for up to a month, but with a layer of poly it's ready to go after 24 hours or so...no tackiness!
You can read about the "before" story here and about how I adapted the doors to easier fit new glass here.
One of the knobs on the bottom doors was missing, and a few of the pulls on the top doors. I kept and cleaned up the brass backplates on the glass doors, and found these perfect glass knobs at Hobby Lobby. They are an oval shape rather than round so they fit nicely together where the doors meet.
I also gave you a sneak peak at the chunky hardware on the bottom. The oversize glass knobs were out of my stash. Did you guess what the backplate was? I knew I wanted something big and was coming up empty looking online, and then I remembered I had these...
They started their lives as....Christmas ornaments! I bought them and used them as hangers for an old window treatment (seen here). My handy husband drilled a hole in the middle and they were perfect! Along with the original drawer handles, they got a coat of Rustoleum's Metallic Brass spray paint, and then a coat of Rub-n-Buff in Gold Leaf.
I had planned to add height by adding an extending shelf in between the two pieces to house some cubbies for storage baskets, but I ended up just needing to get this piece d.o.n.e! I probably will still add that piece in the future.
I'm so happy to be having a little reveal party with my uber-talented friend Pam at Simple Details. Pam is one of my very first blogging friends and I love every single project she does! She's revealing her ultra-sleek (free!) Emerald Green sideboard today too. We've both been working on our dining rooms off and on for well over a year, and have had many conversations about our green beauties. It's been so fun to have a friend to bounce ideas back and forth with! Click on over and see Pam's beautiful piece, too. We're on a race to the finish line to cross our dining rooms off of the list!
With this project completed, I'm down to artwork and a new table for this room. I have the table but it needs some work so I am waiting for a streak of warm-enough days outside to work on it. That probably won't be happening until later in the spring. Artwork, though, coming up!
Linking up with: