Last year when I rescued this cute dresser from my neighbor's trash, I always imagined it styled with a giant piece of abstract art hanging over it. Although the dresser was free to me, I still didn't want to spend loads of cash for the type of piece I envisioned. So, like any good DIY blogger, I made do with something I painted myself. I used the largest canvas that I had on hand (even a plain big canvas is expensive, too!) and was happy with the vibrant colors of the painting I made, even though I'm fully aware of my limited abstract painting abilities. ;)
Since the canvas didn't fill the space as much as I would have liked, I compensated by filling in the space around it. Here's what it looked like for last year's summer home tour:
I'm always keeping an eye out for a larger canvas that I can replace that one with, but in the mean time, inspiration struck to give this canvas a little more presence on the wall. Using the same premise that I did for my layered silhouette artwork, I thought I could add a piece behind the canvas to make it seem bigger.
I thought about having a piece of plywood cut to size, but then I remembered I had left over insulated sheathing that I used for the DIY Airplane Art in my son's room. It wouldn't be as heavy as a large piece of plywood hanging on the wall, and it was already in my garage, so yay for free!
To cover the sheathing, I almost defaulted to black and white striped fabric, but then this navy and white polka dot in my stash caught my eye. I've used it as a make-shift runner on a few tables here and here before. I really liked the mix of the polka dot polish pottery plates that I had hung on the wall with the canvas, so the navy polka dot fabric quickly won out.
This was such a simple project! I started by cutting the sheathing to the size I wanted. It's easy to cut with a good straight edge and utility knife.
Then, I layed it down on the wrong side of a piece of fabric, leaving several inches around each side.
Next, I wrapped the excess fabric around each side. I knew that hot glue would not work well on the foam, so I used good 'ol duct tape to secure the edges. Just like replacing the fabric on a chair seat, I secured all of the sides first, then tightly pulled the fabric at the corners for a sharp edge.
That's all there is to it!
Rather than thinking about a way to attach hangers from the back of the foam board, I just used a few nails and tapped them straight through the front of the foam board to attach it to the wall. The foam board was a little bit bowed, so I used about three nails so it would all be snug against the wall.
Then, I used two more nails through the foam board to hang the canvas (my trick for making sure that pictures don't shift and get crooked).