Monday, May 6, 2013
CLEAN YOUR STOVE BURNERS WITH EASE!
Happy Monday everyone! How was your weekend? We had a bang-up birthday party...can't wait to share it with you tomorrow!
Today I have a tip for you that's too good not to share! A few weeks ago I came across this pin on Pinterest and was intrigued...especially since I had just cooked a big pot of beans that boiled over and made a mess.
It sounded too good to be true, so I thought I'd give it a try. All you need are dirty burners, a ziploc bag, and ammonia. I had some 2 2/1 gallon bags on hand, and they were the perfect size to slide 2 burner grates and drip pans in.
After the burners are in the bag, pour a small amount of ammonia in-I used not even a cup. The parts don't need to be immersed in the liquid, the fumes from the ammonia really do all the work. After zipping the bag, it just needs time to work! Overnight is best, and I set mine out on the back porch just in case something leaked.
After that time has passed, open the bag and remove the stove parts. CAUTION-the fumes are VERY strong! I opened the bag and turned my head the other way while it aired out a bit. I laid the parts in the sink and gave them a very quick scrub with the kitchen brush, mainly just to knock any loose particles off, and then rinsed well in hot water. I almost couldn't believe the results!
See the proof left in the bag? I know...gross...but it worked!
All of the grease splatters and crusty spills were totally gone. With a quick shine of the dish towel, everything looked as good as new! In the past I have scrubbed and scrubbed those burners with an SOS pad (not fun!) and still didn't get as good of results as this method. I'm sold!
Now I'm trying to decide what else I can clean using this method. Wish my oven racks could fit in a ziploc bag! I'm wondering if setting a bowl of ammonia in the oven overnight would give the same results. Anyone know?
ANOTHER CAUTION-Be safe when using ammonia! NEVER mix ammonia with bleach or any products containing bleach-the results could be fatal.
Visit Vivienne to read about her experience with this tip! I'm so glad she shared...my stove will be forever grateful!